WALKING FREELY & BREAKING CONSTRAINTS
When constrained, people search for freedom. The appearance of freedom calls at every turn, but often it is not freedom at all but just more constraints. Be wise, choose the freedom that provides hope, guidance, and safe boundaries that allows you to live life fully.
WHAT IS STOPPING YOU FROM WALKING OUT GOD’S PLAN FOR YOUR LIFE?
THE PROBLEM: We often feel constrained by life. We pray to God and ask him to show us the way, but when it doesn’t happen immediately, we wonder why not. We often lack patience to allow God to work in our lives. Nor do we give him space to work. Instead, we wrangle back control, buy into false freedoms, which wrap the constraints around us even tighter.
THE WORD: Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6, NLT
King Solomon wrote most of the Proverbs. He was the wisest and richest man in the world and had everything at his fingertips. Yet in his wisdom, he knew that the answer to freedom was not the wealth of the world but was God. He uses three words in Proverbs 3:5-6 to instruct us on how to throw off our constraints and walk with God.
- TRUST: We break our constraints and walk freely when we have confidence and belief in the Lord, knowing that he wants the best for us and has a plan for our lives.
- LEAN NOT: Instead of the “false belief” of leaning on ourselves for wisdom, we gain freedom by leaning on God. In our frustrations, it is easy for us to forget that God sees the whole picture —the past, the present, and the future. He knows where we have been, where we are, and where we need to go. When we lean on our own understanding, we allow earthly wisdom to act as our prop to keep us upright, but it eventually falters. When we lean into God, we steady ourselves with His wisdom, guidance, comfort, and strong foundation.
- SUBMIT: This is often a hot button word, which often feels constraining. In actuality, submitting to God frees us and keeps us safe. God’s teaching gives us a moral and intellectual compass to navigate the world. Through the leading of the Holy Spirit, we are able to traverse the bumps and detours that occur in life (I Corinthians 2:12-13).
THE GIFT: When we trust and lean on God, we are free to walk:
- FOR US, The path God has designed is specifically for each one of us (Ephesians 2:10),
- BEING CHRISTIAN=POSSIBLE, In the wisdom of God rather than the foolishness of the world (I Corinthians 1:25),
- SOMETIMES IT ABOUT GRIT= In God’s strength (Philippians 4:13), and
- SUBMITTING FREES US BY PROTECTION, In freedom, constrained from only what will harm us (Galatians 5:1).
THE CHOICE: We can choose to walk in the way of the world, which constrains us with false promises, rules, and poor choices. Or, we can choose to walk with God who sets us free to be who he has created us to be and to fulfill the purpose established for each one of us, even before the creation of the world.
BREAKING THE CONSTRAINTS Q&A:
NW Student: I’m fighting rules that never bothered me before. I’m realizing that what I thought was once bad isn’t, what I was taught was bad maybe isn’t. What is right? I feel free and then loose that feeling by my old thoughts.
LEAN NOT… on your beliefs/parents/friends/His. Get to the Word.
Freeing but not… It is freeing to let God control… to give up the worry.
Pam: I’ve struggled in life. I love God but have made many poor choices. I am getting closer to God, wanting to give it all up but will I just be bored then? Life is hard but fun too. I don’t want to give up on all the fun too.
FAITH INFUSED LIVING… REACHES GOALS HIGHER!
Jesus looked at them & said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Math 19:26
Niccie Kliegl CLC, RN